Saturday, April 2, 2016

WOAH Week 12 Already!?

The week after Spring Break is bound to be hard! Students have been gone since last Wednesday and seem to have forgotten routine procedures like bellwork and signing out of class when they need to go to the restroom! It's a rough life coming back after a long break...

On Tuesday I was lucky enough to visit Big Spring High School and observe Katie during her student teaching! It was a fun day and I enjoyed also working with her Poultry CDE team! Tuesday night then I visited State College to present my undergraduate research!

Katie with one of her cooperating teachers, Mrs. Fulton!
Tuesday night I was happy to arrive back in Athens, ready for the short but busy upcoming week!
BACK TO SCHOOOOOOL!
 
Wednesday we were back in the classroom. Introduction to Agriculture is learning more about good and poor animal health, and the students were excited to ease into the week with some charades! We also checked on our Greenhouse in Horticulture with all of our new plants. We are currently discussing pesticide safety, and one of my students just visited Hawaii, so we were able to discuss some differences in plants and pest management in different parts of the US! Fun fact, Hawaii doesn't have snakes, so you can be fined very heavily for bringing this pest onto the islands.

In Ag Mechanics, we are continually working on our Plumbing and Electrical Wiring Projects.


Some of my students testing their Plumbing Squares... and yes, they have to wear them to test their water tightness!
Many of my students are on their second or third electrical wiring diagram!
In the SAE/FFA Leadership Class, we have also started working on the FFA Banquet! Our banquet is on April 22nd, my last day at Athens! Wowzers. On Thursday, we actually had a member from Project Grow, which is a non-profit gardening group in Bradford and Tioga County, come to talk to our students. We will be growing vegetables for Project Grow!

Volunteer from Project Grow talking to the Horticulture Class.

Here are some of the Heirloom seeds that we will be planting for them!
We are working with Project Grow in Horticulture Class for my Community Based Unit of Instruction, so I was very excited for them to come visit! You can learn more about their group here: http://valleyprojectgrow.org/

Then Friday, I spent the day in State College for our second day of professional development. We were able to catch up with the rest of #PSUAgEd16, and also hone our skills in interviewing through a series of mock interviews. This was a very valuable experience, and I learned a lot from the process.

Hard to believe that there are just 3 short weeks left at Athens! I cannot believe how much I have learned and experienced so far. My goals for the upcoming weeks are to maximize all of my opportunities at Athens. Asking questions, having intentional conversations with students, trying new activities and methods of technology in the classroom, and much more.

Thanks for reading
-Sarabeth

1 comment:

  1. I hope these last few weeks allow you to really step out of your comfort zone and take risks!

    Looking forward to my visit!

    LR

    ReplyDelete