Wednesday, September 23, 2015

EGGcellent Interest Approaches = Engaged Class

 
I was so excited to teach the "Interest Approach Lab" in 412 this week because I LOVE that moment. I love building up anticipation and excitement in people so that they want to learn things. The best teachers are those who make learning a process that the student internalizes and makes their own. By creating a felt need in the student to want to learn more, half the battle of a lesson is won! Engaged students don't create problems by being distracted or bored, and they ask good questions that can help elevate the conversation with students.
 
So, with my passion for my feathery friends, I decided to make an EGGcellent interest approach on ... well you guessed it eggs! EGGS FOR DAYS! In a hypothetical earlier lesson, we examined how to grade eggs into the categories of AA, A or B after candling them. So this prior knowledge would help the students with the task I gave them in lab, which was to grade the eggs without a candler! Tricky right! This relates to Lancelot's Principles of Interest
- Interest increases with the acquisition of any given ability
- The novel unexpected are interesting
 
 
 
 
 
We examined the broken out eggs and reviewed the albumen and yolk height to determine a grade. After comparing this to candling, we talked about how efficient (or inefficient) these practices are, and what is commonly used in the industry.
 
Reflection:
 
My goals from the last lab were:
1) Speed
2) Filler Words
3) Clarity of Instruction
 
 I think that I was still talking pretty fast, but it's certainly a work in progress. This lab didn't have nearly as many filler words, but I am very familiar with eggs and poultry. Because this was a topic that I am more comfortable with, I was definitely less nervous than the first day of class lab! Finally clarity of instruction... well... I think it was decent. I think I could have been a lot more clear about the initial task, however, after I gave directions I knew that it was a bit jumbled, so I asked one of my students to recap our goals. I think that this helped!
 
I definitely could have let them explore a little more on their own. I want to be engaged, but not a helicopter teacher!


 
For next lab:
 
1) Always be watching my speed, and make sure that I pronounce words clearly, etc.
2) Be watching the filler words, ummmmmmmm not cool if like there are a ton of fillers
3) Work on clarity of verbal instructions
4) Watch body language, what is my stance saying? What are my facial expressions portraying
5) LESSON PLAN! Make sure that the lesson plan is solid and that transitions are good etc.
 
Thanks for reading,
Best
-Sarabeth
 
 

 


10 comments:

  1. SB - I love that you got the chance to perform a lab on content that you're passionate about! I think it's interesting that a lot of us are struggling with clarity of instruction (myself included!) hopefully we'll spend some time exploring that in 412! I shared with another peer this recommendation that worked for me this week in lab. Chunk your instruction set into three smaller directions, share them with the class, repeat a shorter, sweeter version of the original three and then release your kiddos on a signal word that you share with them at the beginning of the direction set. I'd love to chat more about that super quick description sometime in person! Keep being a rockstar, woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janae, and I love the signal word idea!

      Delete
  2. Sarabeth, I may use you EGGcellent knowledge for my poultry unit :) I love that you were able to share your passions through your interest approach! I also struggle with clarity, and I feel that we will continue to grow and clarity will become easier with practice and comfort. I appreciate how you noticed your jumbled instructions and felt the need to check for clarity (great thinking). Keep moving forward, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SB: First off, I loved being apart of your lesson. It stood out in my mind as a well prepared lesson and I know that you took a lot of time and effort getting it ready for the class. I know that there were some times of struggling with clarity and other things that you may have noticed in yourself, but as a student I didn't even know because you kept us so engaged! Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Olivia, that means a lot to me! I appreciate your support!

      Delete
  4. Nice job on having specific ways to fix your weaker points in the classroom! I like that you really thought about how to incorporate the principles by Lancelot while you created your lesson. Keep up the awesome work, SB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SB,

    Don't be afraid to let the students go out and try their own ideas! One of them may come up with something you never expect! keep up the awesomeness

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your interest approach here and think it is super cool! Great job SB!

    ReplyDelete