Friday, September 18, 2015

First Day of Class! Sooooooo Many Emotions!

That's right, it's the first day of class, and there are so many different emotions and thoughts running through peoples minds!

Excitement to see friends again, nervous for the school year, wondering what the cafeteria is serving for lunch, confused about the new bell system, and so much more. As I was preparing for this lab to simulate the first day of class, I was thinking two things:

1) The teacher is just as nervous and excited for the first day as the students!!!
2) WOW, there is a lot going on the first day, how can we effectively start the school year, set procedures, and start to cultivate the classroom culture that we want?

Pretty big stuff right!?


RECAP:

For my lab, I had the students start out right away with a bellwork activity, because that is one of my expectations for my students for the year. This activity allowed them to draw pictures that represent themselves on their name tent. Additionally, the students were told to write 1-2 goals for the year on the inside of their name tent. I wanted to show the students that we have fun in Intro to Agriculture (i.e. drawing!) but that this is also a serious course where the students will be challenged and will learn a lot ( i.e. goal setting!)

Then, the students played a little activity to get to know each other and get up and moving. The activity involves four possible answers, and the student chooses the answer they most agree with and goes to the corner of the room associated with that question. After introducing themselves to each other, they try to convince other students in the class why their corner is better. For example, I asked what their preferred pet was (Dog, Cat, Bird, or No Pet at all!) This fun and casual game gets the students moving and helps them learn each others name etc.

After this, we did a Go Get It E-moment to get color coded note cards from around the room that had the classroom expectations, procedures, and consequences written on them. We then discussed the importance of these, and what they mean, etc.

Finally, the students were given a sheet with the procedures, expectations, and consequences outlined that they and their parent/guardians would sign.

REFLECTION

My biggest goal for this class was to create a positive learning environment. I think that this was achieved through the fun activities. However, I also was appropriately serious while talking about the classroom expectations, procedures, and consequences. I really enjoyed talking through the expectations in order to "Cultivate our Classroom Culture." I also think that my transitions were good (not necessarily as smooooooth as I wanted, but they worked!)

Some opportunities to improve:
- Time management, I went over the 15 minute mark! We were just SO EXCITED for the first day of class!
- Clarifying instructions! I can practice giving instructions with friends not in my class etc, and see if they understand what I am trying to convey
-Watch my speed!!! It's not a race SB!
- Watch the filler words, like, hmmm, what's an example, ummmmmmmm can't think of one, but ahhhhhhhh maybe I'll get back to you guys on that!?
-Stop fiddling with the watch! Huh, you would think I would have better time management with how much I played with said watch ;)

Goals for next lab, and how I can achieve this!
1) Watch speed! Practice speaking, and maybe give lesson to some friends
2) Watch filler words. This probably happens partly because I UMMMMM am not sure what to say next, so Practice & Prepare
3) Clarity of instruction. I can achieve this by planning, and practicing!

Well thanks for reading folks!

-Sb

11 comments:

  1. Well written and I LOVE the 1st day of school pic...


    I often think how can we make 1st day as exciting/fun as it was when we were in Kindergarten/1st grade!

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great goal to have! The first day of class in elementary school is SO MUCH FUN! I like this challenge, Thanks Dr. Foster

      Delete
  2. SB you did a great job teaching your first day of school lesson. I would be so excited to be in your classroom. You're going to have a blast at Athens. Your bright energetic self is contagious. If anything I would work on flipping that switch from enthusiastic to serious a little more when going over your expectations, procedures, and consequences. But great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle with time management in my lessons as well. Oh, and those darn filler words! Have you thought of how to manage your lesson time without staring at a clock? I suppose it will just take us some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time management is tough... I think that with time we will become more comfortable with it etc. :) We can help each other Stacia!!!

      Delete
  4. SB, I had the priveldge of watching the recording of you teaching. I felt you did an AMAZING job. I envy your ability to have the students feel like the classroom is whole. Looking forward to watching more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam, you are too sweet! I think that you did an incredible job with the first day of class lab! It is really nice to be able to see other people's ideas, and I loved your expectations! It was great that they all start with P, much easier to remember!

      Delete
  5. SB, I had the priveldge of watching the recording of you teaching. I felt you did an AMAZING job. I envy your ability to have the students feel like the classroom is whole. Looking forward to watching more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did a drawing activity on our first day of school, too. Students had to draw what came to mind when they heard the word "Agriculture" and turn the assignment in with their names on the back. I pull the assignment out from time to time as the course progresses. For example, when we learn that agriculture is more than farming, we look at how many people had farming as their image and discuss stereotypes related to agriculture. When we discuss agriculture career pathways we see if any career areas could be represented by their initial drawings. At the end of the course (It's a semester), they are given the same prompt again and then given their original drawing back. We then discuss how their concept of agriculture might have changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I LOVE that idea! It must be fascinating to watch the student's perception of agriculture change throughout the course. Thanks so much for sharing

      Delete